Are you experiencing issues with your Subaru key fob? If it’s not responding as it should, the culprit might be a depleted battery. Fortunately, changing the battery in your Subaru key fob is a straightforward process that you can easily do yourself. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps, ensuring you can get back to smooth, hassle-free operation in no time.
Identifying the Type of Subaru Key Fob
Before delving into the battery replacement process, it’s crucial to identify the type of key fob your Subaru uses. Subaru vehicles may come with different key fob designs, and knowing which one you have will help you choose the correct replacement battery. Typically, Subaru key fobs have a small indentation or a visible seam that indicates where you can open the fob.
Gathering the Necessary Tools
Before you start the battery replacement process, make sure you have the right tools on hand. Most Subaru key fobs require a small flathead screwdriver or a coin to open the casing. Additionally, you’ll need a new battery, and the specific type will depend on your key fob model. Common battery types for Subaru key fobs include CR1620 and CR2032.
Opening the Subaru Key Fob
- Locate the Opening Point: Use the small flathead screwdriver or coin to find the opening point on your Subaru key fob. This is usually indicated by a small groove or a seam along the edge of the fob.
- Gently Pry Open: Insert the screwdriver or coin into the opening point and gently pry the fob open. Be cautious not to use excessive force to avoid damaging the casing.
- Separate the Halves: Once you’ve loosened the casing, carefully separate the two halves of the key fob. Take note of the buttons and their positions to reassemble the fob correctly later.
Replacing the Battery
- Remove the Old Battery: With the key fob open, locate the existing battery. Use the screwdriver or a fingernail to carefully lift the old battery out of its compartment.
- Insert the New Battery: Take the new battery, ensuring the positive (+) and negative (-) sides match the markings in the fob. Gently press the battery into place.
- Reassemble the Key Fob: Align the two halves of the key fob and carefully snap them back together. Ensure the casing is securely closed.
Testing the Key Fob
After replacing the battery, it’s essential to test the key fob to ensure it’s functioning correctly. Stand near your Subaru and press the buttons to lock and unlock the doors. If the key fob is working correctly, your Subaru should respond as expected.
How often should I replace the battery in my Subaru key fob? The frequency of battery replacement depends on usage. On average, Subaru key fob batteries last between 1 to 2 years. If you notice decreased responsiveness, it’s time for a new battery.
Can I use any type of battery for my Subaru key fob? No, it’s essential to use the correct battery type specified for your Subaru key fob. Common types include CR1620 and CR2032, but refer to your vehicle’s manual for the accurate information.
What should I do if my Subaru key fob still doesn’t work after replacing the battery? If the key fob remains unresponsive, double-check the battery’s placement and orientation. If the issue persists, consult your vehicle’s manual for additional troubleshooting steps.
Can I replace the Subaru key fob battery without professional help? Yes, replacing the battery in a Subaru key fob is a simple task that most owners can handle. Follow the steps outlined in this guide to ensure a successful replacement.
Are there any special considerations for Subaru key fobs with proximity keys or push-to-start features? While the battery replacement process is similar, owners of Subaru vehicles with proximity keys or push-to-start features should exercise additional caution when handling the key fob components.
Maintaining the functionality of your Subaru key fob is essential for a seamless driving experience. By following the easy steps outlined in this guide, you can confidently change the battery in your Subaru key fob and avoid the inconvenience of a non-responsive key. Keep your key fob in top condition, and enjoy the convenience it brings to your daily driving routine.